Personal Data Collected
The Horatio Alger Association collects data from our partners, Scholars, and applicants and from those who visit and use the Horatio Alger Association website. We collect data in order to enhance the services we provide, to better fulfill our nonprofit mission, and, where appropriate, to keep you informed and up to date about our programs. We take care to only collect personal information that you knowingly provide to us. We may collect the following kinds of personal information:
- name and address, including e-mail address;
- gender and date of birth;
- details about education; and
- information about professional career;
We also collect non-personal information (browser type, page views, etc.) so that we can analyze how our website is being used and what information is most useful to our Members and partners. Visitors to our website often conduct research about Horatio Alger’s mission and we record information that identifies visitors. We use this information to enhance our technological capabilities, which in turn helps all visitors who use our site.
We protect the confidentiality of your personal information by using industry-recognized security technological, physical and organizational safeguards, such as firewalls, coupled with carefully developed security procedures that protect your information from loss, misuse or unauthorized alteration. When we ask for sensitive information, such as credit card numbers, we apply proportionate safeguards, for example encrypting it during transmission.
The Horatio Alger Association makes every effort to maintain the privacy and security of your personal data but all users should understand that our security practices, processes, or technology do not guarantee absolute security of your information. It is in your best interest to take all normal personal precautions to protect your information such as Do not sharing passwords; closing your browser when it is not in use and avoiding vehicles such as public networks, internet cafes, etc.
Uses of Information Collected
The Horatio Alger Association analyzes the information provided to it in order to:
- Determine if information, research and programs requested by users may be adopted as part of our nonprofit mission.
- Communicate with Members, applicants and partners about questions they may have concerning our mission, scholarship programs, research, and general information about the Horatio Alger Association.
- Help Members, directors and officers participate in Horatio Alger Association activities such as the Horatio Alger Awards Induction Ceremonies and the National Scholar Conference.
- Administer programs and services for Members and Scholars.
- Provide information about new Horatio Alger Association programs.
When we ask you for information, we tell you, or it will be clear, what we need to fulfill your request and how we will use it.
Anti-Spam and Opting Out
We do not make your personal information available to anyone outside of the Horatio Alger Association for any marketing purpose without your consent. Where applicable, we will seek your express consent to contact you, including by way of commercial electronic messages. Visitors may opt out of having their personal information collected and used by the Horatio Alger Association for the purposes stated above by contacting the Privacy Team. For example, you can unsubscribe at any time from receiving commercial electronic messages by following the instructions in the message.
Even if you have opted out of receiving marketing communications from us, please be aware that we may still contact you for other purposes. For example, we may contact you to provide communications you have consented to receive, regarding our relationship with you, or if you contact us with an inquiry.
Duration of Information Storing
Generally, the Horatio Alger Association will not store information any longer than is necessary for the purposes for which the personal data are processed. This storage policy is in compliance with applicable privacy legislation.
When we no longer are required to retain the information, we will destroy, erase, or de-identify the information. Legal requirements, however, may require us to retain some or all of the personal information we hold for a period of time that is longer than that for which we might otherwise hold.
Disclosure and Transfers of Information
The Horatio Alger Association will protect and keep your personally identifiable information private and will not disclose or transfer this information to third-parties without your consent, except as follows:
With your consent:
- We may use third party service providers to whom we may transfer your personal information for retention, processing or other use, for example our agents and advisors (such as our accountants and attorneys). Whenever we hire other organizations to provide support services, we will only disclose the personal information necessary for them to provide their services to you or us, and they will be required to conform to our privacy standards and to allow us to audit them for compliance. Our affiliates or our service providers may be located inside and/or outside of the jurisdiction in which your personal information was collected. As a result, that country’s courts, governments or law enforcement agencies could obtain disclosure of your information in accordance with that country’s laws.
- If you partake (or that we reasonably suspect that you are partaking) in any illegal or potentially illegal activity. Under these circumstances, we may disclose personally identifiable information even without a subpoena, warrant, or other court order, to the extent we feel necessary to inform or cooperate with law enforcement agencies or other appropriate authorities.
- In aggregated form, i.e., information about multiple users collectively without identifying any individual user, such as the total number of visitors to a particular section of our website in a given week.
Access, Correction and Accountability
The Horatio Alger Association will provide you with access to your information and make every reasonable effort to ensure your rights are fully supported. Your rights are:
- the right to access and/or correct your personal data;
- the right to object to or stop the processing of your personal data; and
- the right not to be subject to a decision based solely on automated processing, including profiling.
Upon request to the Privacy Team via postal mail, e-mail or telephone (during regular business hours), the Horatio Alger Association will provide to visitors a summary of any personally identifiable information retained by the Horatio Alger Association regarding the visitor. Visitors may modify, correct, change or update personally identifiable information that the Horatio Alger Association has collected through its website or may request their personal record to be removed from the Horatio Alger Association’s database by contacting the Privacy Team.
We use a variety of technologies on our website. Among these are cookies; pieces of information that our website provide to your browser when you visit our sites. Cookies allow us to track overall site usage and determine areas users prefer, and also allow us to make your visit to our website easier by recognizing you when you return and helping to provide you with a customized experience. You can choose to decline cookies while at our website; however, this may limit your ability to access certain areas of the website. Most browsers accept and maintain cookies by default. Check the “Help” menu of your browser to learn how to change your cookie preference.
Our website tracks usage data, including, for example, your IP address, your browser type and version, which pages you view, which page, if any, linked you to our site, and which link, if any, you follow off of our site. We use this data in the aggregate to better understand website activity to improve our site offerings. We do not track URLs that you type into your browser, nor do we track you across the Internet once you leave our sites.
Links to Third-Party Websites
We may use other sources to supplement the information you give us. For example, we may validate your address using other sources. We use this data to help us maintain accuracy and provide you with better service.
Copyright © 2018, the Horatio Alger Association of Canada
Last Updated: 12/6/2018